Contact us - Sitemap- links
UK Working Holiday Guide

home | | uk visas | | uk living | | living costs | | working | | accommodation | | getting around | | leisure | | europe | | news

Essential Living Guide to the UK and London

Piccadilly Circus, LondonGetting Started in the UK

This is one of the most important sections of the site and concerns important subjects such as Tax, National Insurance and Passports.

It is also important to highlight health and medical facilities in the UK. Setting yourself up with a Doctor and Dentist should be one of the first things you do once you have found somewhere to live.

We have also highlighted information about mobile phones and those all important international calling cards.

UK Bank Accounts and UK Banking for Visitors

We strongly advise setting up a bank account before you commence any job hunting.

It can be difficult to set up a bank account in the UK and our consultants can assist you by providing a letter of introduction to the bank. Accompanying the letter, you will also require the following additional documentation:

Foreign and Commonwealth Passports

An original bank statement from your bank in your home country, detailing your residential address, or

A copy of a bank statement from your bank in your home country, with additional evidence of your residential address (eg. a driving licence or utility bill).

You will then be able to set up a bank account immediately and we suggest you do this up within two weeks of arriving in the UK.

National Insurance Numbers for Working Holiday Makers

Your National Insurance (NI) number is used by employers for the deduction of tax and NI contributions. Your NI number also registers your eligibility for free hospital and GP services, and enables a smooth process when claiming a tax rebate.

It is not possible to obtain a NI number until you have commenced employment. Upon your first placement, our payroll department will automatically allocate you a temporary NI number. You will then have to contact your local Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) office to apply for a permanent NI number. A date and time will be arranged for you to attend a brief interview.

For more information regarding NI and to locate your nearest branch, consult the DWP directly at www.dwp.gov.uk or call 020 7712 2171 (9am - 5pm Monday to Friday).

Income Tax and the Inland Revenue

For those working via PAYE (i.e. not through a Limited Company), tax and National Insurance will be deducted at source by Crystal UK

If you have worked in the UK before, please ensure that you enclose your P45 with your first timesheet.

If you are working in the UK for the first time, you will need to complete a P46 form which can be obtained through our Payroll department by calling 0207 8867207.

For general tax and self-assessment queries, please consult the Inland Revenue on www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk

Limited Company Status for Foreigners

If you are looking to set up a Limited Company, we recommend that you seek independent professional advice on how to establish and operate such a company. Seeking professional advice is particularly important in light of the Government's anti-tax avoidance legislation, commonly known as IR35.

The following must be adhered to if you wish to be paid through your own Limited Company:

-You can only be paid via a UK registered company.

-You must be a Director or Shareholder of that company.

-An official invoice from your company must be submitted with each timesheet.

-If you are VAT registered, you must provide a copy of your VAT registration with your first timesheet and a VAT invoice with every subsequent timesheet.

-If you wish to change your Limited Company you must advise us in writing beforehand and state your reasons why.

Prior to any payments being made to your company, our Payroll department must receive the following:

Company bank account details

-Certificate of Incorporation for your company issued by the Register of Companies (NB: The date of incorporation of your company must be prior to the commencement of your temporary assignment).

-A signed contract between Crystal UK and your Limited Company which details the terms and conditions of your assignment. A copy of our standard contract will be sent to you for signature prior to your assignment.

-Form CT41G (Inland Revenue Corporation Tax Form) from the Tax Office.

If you are unable to produce this form, please contact our Payroll department on 01753 849 317.

The NHS, GPs and Your Health

Registering with a Doctor

The National Health Service (NHS) is a public service which provides free or subsidised medical treatment, to British nationals and overseas nationals residing in the UK for six months or more.

Anyone intending to reside in the UK for six months or more must register with a local General Practitioner (GP). Once registered, you will be entitled to free medical advice and treatment. Should an emergency arise and you are not yet registered with a GP, you can utilise the Accident and Emergency services at any hospital.

Dentist and Dental Treatment in the UK

You do not need to register with a dentist until you need dental care. Should you require a dentist whilst residing in the UK, you will need to register with a National Health dentist and you will have to pay for treatment. The British Dental Association can provide a list of dentists in your area at www.bda-findadentist.org.uk

UK Mobile Phones and UK Mobile Networks

Once you have arrived in London and start searching for a job you will need to be contactable at all times. If you have brought a mobile phone with you then all you will need is a starter pack and a pre-paid package. These can be bought at most major retailers.

Getting a mobile on contract will be trickier as most require a letter of employment, bank account details and proof of address. Some retailers will also charge a holding deposit of around £100, which they reimburse after 6-9months

For more information and links on mobile phones go here >

International Calling Cards from the UK

Prices start at £5 and can be bought at practically all shops. The amount of call-time you get will depend on the location you are calling but your phone calls home will definitely be a lot cheaper.

For more information on international calls go here >



Useful Numbers

Emergency (Police, Ambulance, Fire Brigade) 999

UK Directory Enquiries 118500

International Directory Enquiries 118505

UK Operator 100

International Operator 155

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Gumtree - Lonely Planet - London Olympics - uk visa blog
UK Working Visas - Living in London - UK Working Holiday - Cheap London Flats - London Guide - UK Links - London Area Guide